Associate Legal Officer, P2 at United Nations / IRCMT July 2023, United Nations Jobs, Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently. Advanced university degree in law, preferably with an emphasis in international or criminal law.
United Nations Jobs
Posting Title: ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER, P2 (Temporary Job Opening)
Job Code Title: ASSOCIATE LEGAL OFFICER
Department/Office: International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals
Duty Station: ARUSHA
Posting Period: 26 July 2023 – 01 August 2023
Job Opening Number: 23-Legal Affairs-RMT-214602-J-Arusha (R)
Staffing Exercise N/A
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Org. Setting and Reporting This position is located in the Office of the Registrar of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals (IRCMT), Arusha branch. The incumbent will work under the supervision of the Deputy Officer-in-Charge. United Nations Jobs
• Conduct legal research on a diverse range of assigned issues in constitutional, international, public, private, administrative, and criminal law (substantive, procedural and comparative) using multiple research sources; select relevant material, analyze information, and present findings for internal review.
• Assist in the review of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identify important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
Legal drafting and legal advice
• Assist in the preparation of draft submissions, background papers, studies, reports, legal opinions/advice, official correspondence, briefing notes, talking points, speeches, etc. pertaining to the mandate and operation of the Mechanism.
• Assist in providing drafting support in relation to, and legal advice on, a wide range of issues, including but not limited to judicial support, requests for assistance from national jurisdictions, enforcement of sentences, witness protection, detention matters, human resources matter including the administration of justice, administrative decisions, records and archives matters, agreements and contracts, claims and disputes, and Mechanism policies.
• Assist in servicing conferences, committees, commissions, task forces, and other bodies, including by preparing background material, summaries, and reports.
• Assist in coordinating and contributing to the drafting of reports on the Mechanism’s and Office’s work.
• Provide briefings before meetings; provide written reports of such meetings; ensure follow-up of decisions taken.
• Maintain up-to-date file notes and reports on assigned work.
Professionalism – Excellent drafting skills and ability to draft well under pressure and tight deadlines. Ability to apply sound legal judgement in the context of assignments given. Ability to plan and manage conflicting priorities. Experience in use of research tools. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work. Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently. Advanced university degree in law, preferably with an emphasis in international or criminal law. A first level university degree in law in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree. Work Experience Minimum of 2 years progressively responsible experience in law, preferably with an emphasis in international law is required. Previous working experience with international organizations, government, or law firm is desirable. Proven experience in litigation is desirable. United Nations Jobs
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.