Research Assistant job at Health Right international
Research Assistant job at HealthRight international
Research Assistant job Post
Location: Jobs in Uganda 2021 – 2022
Work Hours: Full-time, 08 hours per day
No. of vacancies: 01
Deadline: 19 November 2022
Hiring Organization: HealthRight international
The Research Assistant’s main responsibility is to conduct high quality interviews based on a survey for children and for parents. The Research Assistant will have to conduct multiple activities: to attain consent from all research participants and seek assent from children after getting permission from their caregivers to be able to collect quality data from the participants with accuracy, empathy, and always observing confidentiality. Data will be collected with an electronic tablet using the Commcare application. The Research Assistant will make sure that collected data will be properly stored (by the research coordinator). The Research Assistant will comply with research ethics and will follow the research project’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) that will be properly trained and explained during preparation of the work.
Roles And Responsibilities
• To participate in training organized by the HealthRight/ Play Matters Research team and practice to gain the skills and knowledge necessary to carry out the data collection.
• To identify households and study participants who will be selected for the various data collection techniques.
• To approach individuals in the community and the selected households, to request their participation in the PlayMatters’ formative study.
• To administer informed consent to the targeted respondents.
• Seek consent from targeted caregivers for their children to participate in the study and seek assent from children if they like to participate.
• Conduct interviews with children following the set prescribed guidelines.• Enter responses accurately (without alterations or omissions) during the interviews with the tablet using Commcare.
• Liaise with the Supervisor on reporting issues to ensure understanding and to maintain accuracy.
• Record additional data from these conversations by taking notes.
• Complete the number of interviews/surveys required per working day
• Work within a team and always have a professional and ethical attitude towards all the research stakeholders (upholding child safeguarding principles).
• Use feedback provided by supervisors positively to improve data collection quality.
• Fill in the timesheets detailing the level of effort per day worked and submit them to the supervisor.
• Ensure compliance with Health Right performance standards, considerations for consent and privacy of the research participants, code of conduct, and safeguarding policy.
• Able and willing to travel with other research assistants in Imvepi refugee settlement (transport is provided).
• Attend and participate in meetings when needed.
• Able to work on weekends.
• Any other duties as assigned by the Research Coordinator in fulfillment of the tasks.
Preferred Qualifications, Experiences, And Skills
• Should possess at least a Diploma / Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields: Social sciences, Social Work and Administration, Community Psychology, Economics and Statistics, Education, Development studies, or any other related fields.
• Background in working with the refugees in Uganda especially doing household data collection will be of an added advantage.
• Should have experience and skills in conducting surveys and using computers, tablets, and other mobile data collection apps like CommCare, ODK, survey CTO, and Kobo Collect.
• Should know MS Excel, and MS Word applications (if you have experience with mobile/online data collection tools, please indicate).
• Should, besides English which is the project language, be able to communicate (listening, writing, reading, speaking) in at least one or a combination of the following languages commonly used in Imvepi refugee settlement, that is Alur/ Congolese Kiswahili or Bari/Juba Arabic.
• Experience in data or records management will be an added advantage.
• Experience in both quantitative and qualitative research, and transcription of data is desirable.
• Previous work with an NGO on a similar position is desirable and is an added advantage.
• Previous work with an NGO in a similar role is desirable and an added advantage.
• Willing to reside within or near Imvepi refugee settlement during the period of data collection.
• Recommendation letter from the Chairperson Refugee Welfare Council or Local Council 1. This may be verified by the WCH project team.
• Photocopy of refugee identification card or attestation card or National ID for Ugandans.
• Ability to speak and write English, as well as read one or a combination of the languages indicated above.
• Demonstrated respect for diversity and knowledge of refugee rights is desirable.
All applicants should send their CVs to email@example.com indicating the position applied for. Please note that you can apply for both positions