Ajira: Reporter Jobs at The Guardian Limited, publishers of leading Tanzanian newspapers The Guardian, Nipashe and Nipashe Jumapili, is looking for motivated and experienced professionals to fill the following positions:
|Position||: REPORTER-THE GUARDIAN|
|Reporting Channel||: Managing Editor|
|Place||: Dar es Salaam|
Entails going out on assignment as well as use of own initiative to gather news. The job holder will ensure that the news stories submitted are factual, of public interest, detailed, well-researched and in conformity with TGL’s editorial objectives and house.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing and writing news stories and feature articles to finished form so that no major rewriting is required or no extensive additional reporting is needed.
- Briefing News Editor or Chief Reporter on newsworthy information gathered and writing stories using the selected facts by set deadlines.
- Following up news leads (tip-offs or hints) and maintaining close contact with news sources (using own contact book).
- Consistently building up own contact book and demonstrating its value.
- Preparing daily news coverage docket and forwarding it to the News Editor every day.
- Keeping abreast of political and other trends and developments in Tanzania, elsewhere in the East Africa region, and globally.
- Building enough rapport with a wide range of newsmakers and other people to cultivate and maintain a decently long list of credible news sources.
- Developing workable ideas for development into quality news stories, feature articles, commentaries, photographs, graphics and other news material.
- Implementing these and other ideas by conducting focused interviews and research, and actually writing news stories, features, etc.
- Strictly observing set newspaper production deadlines as well as journalistic and social ethics, the Company’s Editorial Policy and other guidelines.
- Helping in grooming or mentoring interns on media attachment at TGL as well other junior writers.
- Generally assisting the News Editor, Chief Reporter and other senior writers in ensuring that the News Desk functions properly.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Journalism or Mass Communication
- At least three years’ working experience
- Mastery of spoken English and Kiswahili
- Knowledge of any other language will be an added advantage.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Apply online via email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st October, 2023. NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contactedfor an interview.
Please, note that The Guardian Limited is an equal opportunity employer