NISC (Pty) Ltd Job Opportunities, Publishing Manager
Publishing Manager Job Opportunities at NISC (Pty) Ltd
VACANCY in PUBLISHING
NISC (Pty) Ltd is an academic publishing house in the university town of Makhanda, Eastern Cape. We publish journals, books and databases that showcase the best of African scholarship for a global audience.
We wish to appoint a senior publisher to co-ordinate and provide leadership to our journal publishing team who are responsible for a growing list of academic journals.
Position: Publishing Manager (Journals)
Reporting to the managing director, the incumbent will direct the day-to-day activities of the journal publishing team, comprising publishers, editors, layout and other production and support staff. The team includes NISC staff, who work in-house or remotely, as well as freelance contractors. The position offers considerable autonomy in the way that that the publishing department operates.
- Co-ordinating and supporting the work of the publishing team to ensure timely delivery of quality output that reflects the high production values that are the hallmark of the company.
- Financial oversight of the publishing and production activities to ensure that individual titles remain within their agreed budget.
- Developing and growing NISC’s journal portfolio in line with the company’s publishing goals and in ways that build the relationships with our publishing partners.
- Working alongside the managing director in developing the strategic direction of the business that is informed by emerging trends in journal publishing
- Maintaining and building relationships with authors, editors and societies and championing NISC’s publishing philosophy in local and international publishing forums in ways that build our brand.
- Providing extra publishing capacity for ad hoc publishing projects, which will include publishing responsibility for a small title list.
- At least five year’s relevant work experience in the publishing sector. A post-graduate qualification and/or a background in the tertiary education sector would be strong recommendations.
- Demonstrable computer proficiency. Facility with the use of industry standard layout software would be a strong recommendation.
- Excellent organisational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Resilience to the pressures associated with deadline-driven work.
Terms: This is a permanent, fulltime position. We offer flexible working arrangements that will accommodate work-from-home situations. The incumbent would not need to relocate to Makhanda although some in-person contact with the publishing team at local office will be expected. We offer a competitive salary package, commensurate with experience.
Applications: Download and complete the application form from the ‘current vacancies’ part of our website (www.nisc.co.za/aboutus). Submit the form together with your CV and a letter of application by email only to email@example.com.
Closing date: 21 December 2022
The company reserves the right not to proceed with filling the post. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and if you have not heard from us by 20 January 2022 you can assume that your application has been unsuccessful.