New Job Opportunities at Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) June 2023
Demand Health & Safety Manager
From Arthur Guinness to Johnnie Walker, our business was founded on people of great character, and in 250 years, nothing’s changed. We’re the world’s leading premium alcohol company. Our brands are industry icons. And our success is thanks to the strength of our people, in every role. It’s why we trust them with our legacy. And it’s why we reward them with the career-defining opportunities that they deserve. Our ambition is to create the best performing, most trusted and respected Consumer Products Company in the world. To achieve these, we need the world’s very best people. Feel inspired? Then this may be the opportunity for you.
Serengeti Breweries Limited (SBL) is a fully integrated beverage business in Diageo Africa (supply and demand for beer and spirits) It is a subsidiary of East Africa Breweries Limited (EABL), the largest business unit in Diageo Africa and the largest listed Company on the NSE in Kenya. SBL operates exclusively in Tanzania and is the second largest beer company with a market share of around 25%.
SBL was incorporated in 1988 as Associated Breweries Limited and changed its name to Serengeti Breweries Limited in 2002 and commenced commercial operations in 1996 with one brewery in Dar es Salaam. The company was acquired by EABL in October 2010 and has three breweries located in Dar es Salaam, Mwanza and Moshi. SBL flagship brand is Serengeti Premium Lager. Other brand portfolios include Guinness and Plisner. Headquartered in Dar es Salaam, SBL is also the distributor of several global Diageo international renowned spirit brands such as Johnnie Walker®, Smirnoff Vodka®, Bailey’s Irish Cream ®, Richot®, Bond 7 Whiskey® and Gilbeys Gin®.
SBL operates in a complex, ever changing and extremely exciting market environment and in a vast geography. SBL is one of the key players in Tanzania facing competition from long established competitors such as TDL and aggressive emerging new players. There is growing consumer affluence and consumerism, giving rise to greater opportunities in our product categories. Head of spirits will enable SBL to establish and grow quickly the spirits category and exploit all opportunities to accelerate company growth. The holder of this role should:
- Have Deep understanding of various business, sales, marketing, financial, supply chain management ways of working and the overall business environment,
- Recognized as an expert in health and Safety development across internal and external stakeholders’ operations (Sales and Distributor network)
Leadership Responsibilities and Decision-Making Rights
To constantly monitor and evaluate the Health and safety status at SBL partner distributors, RTM, chain to include events held in retail chain and overall team OHS and propose deliverable actions, plans and initiatives for improvements and sustainability of a safe working environment . To initiate and take leadership in implementing Health and Safety initiatives across the Demand organization
Top 3-5 Accountabilities
- Proactive training programmed to ensure the safety of the sales teams on the roads. i.e. ensure all users of fleet are trained in defensive driving. Investigate all accidents and near misses and make recommendations to the Head of commercial operations and sales director on way forward.
- Drive Occupational health & Safety at distributor sites.
- Ensure all events are risk assessed and are following all the health and safety guidelines. Fleet management.
- Procurement, lease management. And Daily management of fleet through the regional commercial performance management. Daily monitoring of driving & safety trends through fleet reports and SIRC cards and follow up for corrective measures.
- Success Measures Zero LTA Improve scores on rate of accidents per division. Distributor sites pass government Health and Safety guidelines.
- Qualifications and Experience Required
- Bachelors degree.
- Nebosh International Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety
- Training in Environment and OHS law and management.
- 5 years’ experience in a similar environment
- Experience in OHS management disciplines, incident investigation and route cause
- analysis, dealing with external authorities and managing/coordinating within a multi-site
- and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in driving safety performance of the Business Unit to minimize risks,
- maximize opportunities and enhance reputation for the system. Special focus on
- occupational safety and health practices
Barriers to Success in Role
- Inability to lead teams and build relationships across cultures and in developing markets.
- Inability to act as a leadership member of the Sales leadership team, key partner to the supply &Logistics team
- Inability to connect and build positive relationship
- Inability to partner with supply and commercial functions