Seed Systems Specialist
IITA-TZ-2021 – IRRI-003 -NRS-M0R0G0R0
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) on behalf of the International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) invites applications for the position of Seed Systems Specialist
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is a nonprofit independent research and training organization. IRRI is a member of the Consultative Group of International Agricultural research (CGIAR) Consortium. IRRI develops and promotes new rice technologies such as high yielding varieties, climate and stress resilient varieties and technologies that offer the promise of increased productivity with optimum resources and hence ensure the welfare of farmers. There is a need to scale up the adoption of these varieties /technologies for faster impacts. Farmer-to farmer exchange of seeds is considered to be the main mechanism for the widespread dissemination of varieties. The dimension of farming system has changed in terms of the preference of the farmers, use of mechanized agriculture, men moving out for work and women holding the charge for farming. It’s important to conduct research that can suggest interventions for awareness creation, demand creation, adoption and impact of new varieties. It is also important to compare and find the pros and cons of different delivery/extension approaches for dissemination of these varieties.
Under the supervision of Seed Systems and Product Management Lead – Africa , the Seed Systems specialist will work around, strengthening seed systems and extension research, promoting rural innovation, partnership and liaisoning, monitoring and evaluation of seed systems’ development. Monitor the strategic collaboration around seed systems and extension research, conceptualize, design and execute research with the aim of evaluating the ongoing seed systems activities across different key projects in Tanzania and strengthen the same; and interact cohesively with the regional team in relevant activities.
Duty Station: The position will be based Morogoro, Tanzania.
Criteria for Success / Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture/ Agri business/Rural development with minimum 4 years of relevant work experience around agriculture extension, rural livelihoods, sustainable agriculture/development and project management.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture/ Agri business/Rural development with minimum 2 years of relevant work experience around agriculture extension, rural livelihoods, sustainable agriculture/development and project management.
Skills and knowledge mandatory
- Knowledge and extensive experience in the field of agriculture extension, agri-business planning, rural development
- Strong oral and written communication skills and scientific documentary skills
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills
- Experience of working with government stakeholders (Ministries, nationals partners)
- Experience of extensively working with and managing partners
- Experience with gender and rural development approaches
- Experience on data analysis and relevant statistical tools Preferred
- Working experience in stakeholder management, development research, and applied agri-economics
- Work experience with international organizations
- Good understanding of rural livelihood systems
- Monitor and manage the strategic collaboration around seed systems and extension research. Conceptualize, design, execute collaborative research to evaluate and improve good quality seed demand creation approaches across various regions in Tanzania
- Promote, manage various rural development and innovation models around extension/seed systems/climate smart technologies engaging various institutions, change agents and stakeholders
- Identify gender- and market-responsive seed systems interventions and extension approaches for enhancing livelihoods, including demonstration of new varieties to generate demand and capacity building of local institutions
- Recommend approaches for promoting seed entrepreneurship amongst women and youth and their collectives
- Design, manage and monitor research activities including necessary protocols, research tools, data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Establish and promote strategic partnership, innovation forums and partner management for key projects
- Consult and collaborate with NARES/ Govt and non-Govt extension agencies, and private sector partners for strengthening seed systems and extension research and new approaches in seed and delivery systems
- Work closely with partners, facilitators, enumerators for executing surveys and various research-oriented interventions
- Collaborate with NGOs, Community based institutions, women’s groups for innovation in extension approaches, gender-responsive interventions and piloting seed entrepreneurship models
- Engage with knowledge agencies, training institutions and experts for stakeholder capacity building and strengthening partnership
- Monitor and manage field technical staff for strengthening outreach programs, monitoring, evaluation, action research and experiments
- Research studies designed, managed, analyzed and interpreted
- Documentation of research findings including data collection, analyses and reporting, measured outcomes, impacts
al literature and publication in scientific joumals/websites
- Knowledge and communication products including website, blogs, newsletters, etc
- Various extension models and interventions for farmers, women farmers and key stakeholders executed, monitored and evaluated
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and projects for funding or technical collaborations for research and development jointly with relevant IRRI staff
- Develop and contribute towards documentary outputs like knowledge products and research document/ publications/scientific writing/policy briefs
The duration of contract for the position is two years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O. Box 34441, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania or by email to:
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope. Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 March 2021
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.