Immigration Intern at International Rescue Committee
Immigration Intern at International Rescue Committee, welcome to ajiraonline.com. find our website with your all educational and intern news round the world’s
Scope of Service
The intern will research current options for immigration legal services in Des Moines and record this information, which may include partnering with other organizations working on a similar initiative. The intern will also work to establish a method to assess what knowledge gaps exist in the community regarding current immigration legal processes and how IRC can partner to address these gaps. The intern will explore funding options that the Development team can explore to begin the program.
- Research current low / no cost and private immigration legal services in Greater Des Moines as well as surrounding areas such as Ames, and establish if there is an updated list of such options. If not, update / create a list that can be disseminated. This may include partnering with other organizations interested in this project.
- Meet with other immigration legal service providers, such as IMMJ, Drake Legal Clinic, Community Lawyers of Iowa, USCRI, and private attorneys and determine what gaps may exist in services currently offered (especially low/no cost options)
- Establish a method of evaluating current gaps that may exist in the immigrant and refugee community about understanding of current legal services offered. This may involve speaking to service providers or establishing a way to survey community members if this is not already being done.
- Join meetings / groups / coalitions related to immigration legal services
- Connect with IRC HQ staff to connect with other IRC offices who may have completed similar projects in the past.
- Research possible funding options to support the future program
Time Commitment and Duration
Up to 15 hours per week, spring semester January through May, up to 240 hours
- The intern will have the opportunity to learn research strategies and methods of disseminating the results of research.
- The intern will gain knowledge about types of legal immigration services, as well as programs available in Greater Des Moines and the surrounding area.
- The intern will gain experience in forming partnerships and working together towards an initiative.
This internship is unpaid
Skills and Qualifications
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Experience with different research strategies desired
- Comfort with Excel or other data platforms desired
- Experience creating partnerships and collaborating on projects
- Strong intercultural communication skills including demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and across language barriers
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team
- Willing to learn about IRC history, philosophy, global work, and local efforts.
- Willing to adhere to IRC intern and workplace policies, including current Covid-19 policies (must be fully vaccinated, meaning first 2 shots. Boosters recommended.)
How to Apply
Interested applicants should first complete an application on Salesforce at https://irc-global.my.salesforce-sites.com/volunteer. Applicants must upload a resume and cover letter to be considered a complete application. We encourage students to explore their university’s process to get academic credit.