HR and Admin Officer Jobs at Danish Refugee Council Founded in 1956, The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations – refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs) and host communities – in more than 40 countries around the world.
DRC has been implementing emergency response projects in Tanzania since the onset of the Burundi refugee crisis in 2015 in three refugee camps in the Kigoma Region at the border with Burundi. DRC’s integrated projects for refugees, asylum seekers and host communities comprise sectors such as Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), Protection (CBP, PSN, GBV, CP and Legal), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Shelter and infrastructure, and Economic Recovery.
HR and Admin Officer Jobs at Danish Refugee Council
Overall purpose of the role:
Responsible for carrying out HR and administrative tasks as related to smooth operation of DRC.
This role has a base focus and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines at base level. The role contributes to the development of base strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks
Geographic scope: Tanzania-Kigoma Region
This role has a focus on Tanzania and ensures compliance to DRC procedures and guidelines within the country. The role contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The role provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
- • Ensure the general HR standards & procedures defined in DRC Operations Handbook are applied and compliant at all times.
- Support with all phases of recruitment
- Assist Senior Management Team in elaboration of individual development plans for employees reflecting DRC vision, values, and long-term strategic priorities.
- Prepare and update briefing/induction packages for new staff and oversee/coordinate the induction process.
- Responsible in preparing Refugees Master roll and subsequent refugee payroll on monthly basis including coordinating and documenting hiring and exit of incentive staff.
- Assist in ensuring statutory deductions and its remittance are done according to appropriate laws, includes submission to TRA [PAYE & Payroll levy], NSSF [employer & employee contribution] and any other deductions as per governing laws.
- Ensure all new staff have the social security registration and Bank account number and supervise the process by making sure that necessary application forms are completed/ filled.
- Advise HR&Admin Team Leader on general staff issues, i.e., Training need, staffing level for National staff as well as Incentive workers.
- Assist in recruitment process for refugee (incentive) staff [from advertising, short listing, interviewing, and hiring as required] and to national staff where requested.
- Assist HR & Admin Team Leader in processing and tracking National Staff employment contracts, job applications and other necessary recruitment documents including JDs.
- Assist with the Performance & Development Process
- Coordinate and develop a DRC training scheme for DRC employees with the help of the DRC Learning Catalogue
- Draft new and renewed contracts and other personnel-related issues with special attention to compensation and benefits.
- Prepare, advice and oversee staff leaves and absences.
- Assist with the management of staff complaints through DRC established mechanisms
- Focal point for the liaison with Health Insurance Company on all related issues & serve as the liaison with service providers on all staff health insurance issues.
- Support staff development activities including promoting the DRC Learning Catalogue.
- Assist the Head of Finance and Administration in the management of administrative tasks.
- Coordinate the organization of field visits for external visitors in terms of housing and transport.
- Act as focal point for the administration of tenancy agreements & liaise with lessors.
- Assist Country Director (and HoSS as needed) on the elaboration and roll out of Safety Manual
- Assist periodically program staff in needed visibility activities (ordering photos, brochures, working with designer, make sure logos and fonts are used according to DRC brand manual etc.)
- Ensure the tracking and updating staff database including Annual leave, ED’s, Annual Leave allowance, training and Time sheets are done on time.
- Liaise with the HR&Admin Team Leader in regard to working permits, visa and other form of registration.
- Ensure all staff are issued with Name Tags and Identity Cards
- Ensure the recording NSSF contributions for staff on monthly basis.
- Assist the HR& Admin Assistant in receipt and dispatch of inter-office mail pouch during his/her absence. Ensure documents are distributed to addressee in Kasulu.
- Ensure a proper central filing & tracking system of documents as per DRC filling system. Ensure filling system is known to all personnel concerned and is adhered.
- Ensure that onboarding and exit procedures are made for all staff in coordination with Logistics and Safety Department
- • Coordinates the daily activities of small teams, often comprised of subordinates and/or employees carrying out similar tasks.
- Does not have direct line management responsibility for staff, but may contribute to recruitment and/or performance appraisal of members of the team.
- Implements the manager’ decisions through the work of subordinate employees, often playing a role in deciding how to do it; and how to achieve the objective set by the manager.
- • Ensure availability of sufficient office stationery & consumable supplies. Control (including budget) and monitor use of office supplies in collaboration with Supply Chain Department
- Responsible for office equipment usage (photocopiers, printers, duplicating machine etc.) and report any breakdown to HR&Admin Team Leader
- Ensure quality management of assets and other items procured including stationery etc.
- Responsible for necessary repairs & maintenance in a timely manner in coordination with the logistics staff.
- Support the HR &Admin Team Leader in ensuring that all staff have adequate and habitable office space and identify industrial hazards within the working space.
- Support HR&Admin Team Leader in making bookings for meetings for both programs and operations teams as periodically requested and ensure participant’s lists are generated and meals provided are worth value for money.
- Track all PRs received from programs and make follow up accordingly.
- Assist HR&Admin Team leader to ensure staff understands their benefits and different form usage as per HR Manual and Personnel Policies/GHROPP
- May be required to Act as HR&Admin Team Leader during their absence.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources management or related field or equivalent qualification.
- Proven two years’ experience in office related duties or human resources duties with good command of English and Kiswahili.
- Must have computer skill and be able to work under pressure
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English and Kiswahili
- Compliance and Detail-oriented
- Strong team player
- Excellent interpersonal skills, culturally sensitive and adaptable
- Flexible, enthusiastic and willing to learn from others
- Understands humanitarian issues in Tanzania, and the region
- Willing to travel to project sites in Tanzania
Reporting Line: HR and Admin Team Leader
- Providing equal opportunities We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
- DRC strives to attract, motivate and retain qualified national staff within its programs. As such, we strongly encourage national and diaspora candidates to apply for this position. However, candidates should take into consideration that DRC cannot employ, under an international contract, a national of the country in which he or she will be working (in this case, the United Republic of Tanzania)
Promoting high standards : DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
Application and CV
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered.
DRC only accepts applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.ngo under JOB.
- DRC as an employer
- By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
- Professionalism, impact & expertise
- Humanitarian approach & the work we do
- Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
- Culture, values & strong leadership
- Fair compensation & continuous development
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.