Digital Expert Jobs at Enabel November, 2023 is the Belgian development agency. Our mission is to build a sustainable world where all live under the rule of law and are free to thrive. With our partners, we offer solutions addressing pressing global challenges – Climate Change, Social and Economic Inequalities, Urbanisation, Peace and Security, Human Mobility – and promoting Global Citizenship.
We have over 20 years’ experience in areas ranging from education and health care to agriculture, environmental protection, digitalisation, employment and governance. Enabel’s expertise is eagerly sought-after by partners around the globe – ranging from the Belgian government, European Union institutions, governments of other countries and the private sector. We work with civil society, research institutes as well as businesses and we foster fruitful interaction between development policy and other areas.
With over 2,100 staff, Enabel manages more than 200 projects in more than twenty countries, in Europe, Africa and the Middle East
This position is part of the new Enabel Bilateral Cooperation Program in Tanzania 2023-2027. The general objective of the program has been defined as follows: “Young people especially young women, are empowered to thrive in a protective and gender-equal environment, to acquire education and skills, and to pursue decent work opportunities in Kigoma Region”.
The specific objective further specifies: “Girls and young women (14 to 29 years), in targeted districts of Kigoma, are empowered, access multiple conducive learning pathways and enjoy decent and green employment and entrepreneurship”.
The new portfolio favours an integrated approach fully focused on girls and young women and focuses on three results areas of the same holistic intervention as defined below:
Result area 1 is focusing on secondary education for vulnerable youth with a special focus on girls.
Result area 2 is dedicated to skills development and entrepreneurship, with the ambition to increase opportunities for decent employment of young people, specifically women, through skills development, entrepreneurship promotion and business development support.
Result area 3 is focusing on supporting a protective and gender-equal environment. It will contribute to tackle the discriminatory social norms and structural barriers that girls and young women face in their family, in their community, in the educative and professional spheres, so that girls and young women benefit from the same chances to continue their education and seize increasing remunerative economic opportunities.
This profile will be supported in the backend by the D4D (Digital for Development) Lead Expert in Brussels and by the (growing) network of Digital Enablers (Community of Practice of D4D experts of Enabel) and will collaborate closely with a potential junior expert in D4D – Education. Will serve Portfolio as a whole (including phaseout of former programmes), EU programmes developed by Enabel in Tanzania (SASA), global projects that initiate D4D activities in Tanzania (Wehubit, AU-EU D4D Hub).
Joining Enabel as a Digital Expert, you will be directly reporting to the Country Representative and you will perform the following key tasks:
Specific Result Areas.
- Advice on the integration digital for development and an inclusive, human-centric digital transformation approach into all interventions of the portfolio.A Tanzanian
- Overall management of the sub-outcomes and outputs on D4D in all interventions of the portfolio, and management of all linked grant agreements, with the support of the intervention manager, more specifically.
- Providing oversight, guidance and technical support in D4D expertise to all staff of the portfolio.
- Provides support to D4D innovative projects that are carried out nationally by global projects (Wehubit, AU-EU D4D Hub).
- Coordinates, in alignment with other development agencies, a national donor coordination group on D4D. Participates in other coordination meetings in relation to D4D at national and local level, and ensures contacts with other donors on the thematic.
Expected result of the function:
- Coordinates and advises the team on integration of D4D in all the interventions, including the EU portfolio, as well as overall management of the outputs on D4D.
- Ensures strong relationships with local partners (in Kigoma and at National Level) working on D4D and supports advocacy efforts linked to building an inclusive digital society and economy.
- Ensure synergy and alignment of the D4D approach between the different components.
- Ensure continuous learning of all staff and partners to integrate a D4D approach into the interventions.
- Ensures qualitative implementation of the D4D portfolio, including the portfolio, the EU / global partnerships projects and innovative D4D projects initiated by global projects (Wehubit, AU-EU D4D Hub).
- Learning outcomes from the portfolio are shared and communicated within and outside of Enabel, through participation of the Digital Enablers (internal) and the Digital Sessions (external).
Required Qualification and Experience.
- A Tanzanian
- Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Communication or Digital Business
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Experience in managing programmes related to digitalisation
- Experience with international cooperation
- Experience with EU projects
- Experience on digitalization and gender
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Experience in collaborating in programmes related to digitalisation
- Strong knowledge of digital issues, especially in Tanzania
- Pro-active results-oriented management;
- Excellent collaboration, interpersonal and diplomatic skills;
- Good digital skills (MS Office, polling platforms, project management software, virtual meetings software);
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) in English and Swahili
- Knowledge of other Enabel working language or willingness to learn is a plus (notably French)
We offer you
- A fascinating/ interesting/varied job in an international environment.
- A contract of 42 months, extendable
- You are based in Dar Es Salaam, very frequent traveling to Kigoma region, Mwanza, Tanga, Pemba and occasionally other regions of Tanzania, occasionally internationally to represent Enabel in international conferences or events and/or to meet with the Digital Enablers.
- A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (class 6). The contractual conditions will be established according to the organization’s salary policies.
- Following this recruitment procedure, a shortlist of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate based on gender, origin, age, religion, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
Are you interested?
Apply here on-line with an application letter and your updated CV, at the latest by 19th November 2023.
Only applications that are registered here via our on-line portal will be considered.
If you do not hear from us in 4 weeks’ time after the closing date, please consider you have been unsuccessful.