Country Director Jobs at Search for Common Ground Based in Maputo, Mozambique or Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, the Country Director is responsible for the program from a programmatic and operational perspective. S/he will lead a Consortium implementing a three-year Southern Tanzania-Northern Mozambique cross-border program to develop sustainable, community-centered responses to mitigate local drivers of instability, radicalization, and recruitment along the borderlands communities.
Country Director Jobs at Search for Common Ground
S/he also leads in donor engagement and relationships, fundraising, and strategic planning. S/he contributes to vital organisational initiatives and policy and assures suitability for field-level program implementation. The position oversees three critical areas of leadership and management:
(1). Thought leadership, reputation, and external relationship;
(2). Oversight for program implementation; and
(3). Leadership for staffing, operations, and employee development.
• Program Implementation: provide strategic input and guidance on implementation strategies/approaches. Set overall program strategy and direction in consultation with the project management team and Consortium partners, with overall accountability for ensuring that programmatic goals are met
• Compliance: Enforce processes to ensure internal policy and donor compliance; oversee the management of organizational legal issues and compliance.
• Financial management: Oversee development of country operational budget; program’s activity-based budgets; ensure accurate forecasts and revenue projections; enforce finance policies and procedures; ensure program and finance team coordination
• Reporting: Develop the country’s Quarterly Management Report (QMR); oversee the development of the country’s annual report; develop and produce donor monthly and quarterly reports
• Engagement with donors: Serve as the primary point of contact and coordination on matters related to this program, the donors of the program, and other donors, ensuring collaborative and positive working relationships
• External engagement: Lead engagement with international, government, provincial, regional, and local actors and stakeholders relevant to the program
• Program management, quality, and project design: Ensure that the program reflects best practices and codified methodologies and embraces reflective practice and adaptive management
• Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI): Ensure the program meets its GESI ambitions
• Safety and security: with support from a security specialist and regional and head office colleagues, ensure that adequate safety and security assessments and measures are in place to protect and safeguard Search staff, participants, and assets
• Operations: Lead Senior Management Team (SMT); Lead strategy development and planning
• Infuses organizational values into all work.
Competency Behaviour Indicators (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
• Motivates colleagues and direct reports to develop while resolving problems within the organization’s proactive and broad vision;
• Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with vendors, organizations, professional associations, partners, funders, and Search’s network of experts to facilitate work intended to provide a service to Search;
• Manages and contributes to both routine activities and initiatives while also making progress on continuous improvement efforts;
• Juggles multiple demands and adapts to new situations with fresh ideas or innovative approaches.
• Contributes to developing and implementing departmental strategy based on organizational goals and objectives;
• Confirms and socialises standards across functions globally within or in collaboration with Shared Services teams while allowing for thoughtful collaboration in an international context;
• Practices ethical behaviour to meet Search’s expectations for conduct minimizes ambiguity and sets an example for others;
• Builds a framework and sets in motion a plan to overcome challenges by making sense out of complexity and an uncertain future, staying cognisant of the implications of choice for the department, and being decisive while also applying flexibility for further change as needed and with changing work plans to meet environmental factors;
• Set up procedures and team building to ensure high quality of work (e.g., review meetings);
• Seeks creative solutions within a complex and international environment while working within an organizational framework of compliance, ethics, best practices, and standards;
• Share information, advice, and suggestions to help others succeed; provide effective coaching;
• Sought out as an expert to provide advice or solutions in their technical or functional area;
• Convenes groups or teams through problem-solving and creative thinking processes, leading to developing and implementing new approaches, systems, structures, and methods in a Shared Services environment and
• Involves team members in thought leadership discussions and decision-making to lead to continued growth and development for team, department members, and Shared Services colleagues.
Education and Experience:
• Advanced degree in a relevant field, e.g., Conflict Management, Diplomacy, Development Studies, Social Sciences, Peacebuilding, Political Science, Public Administration, Law, etc.
• At least five years’ experience in peacebuilding and conflict transformation, including PVE programming
• At least ten years of experience in implementing programs in East and Southern Africa
• Experience in Tanzania and/or Mozambique preferred
• Experience with borderlands PVE projects, a plus
• Experience with CSSF is strongly preferred
• Experience managing a consortium is strongly preferred
• Experience in technical areas such as grants management, NGO capacity building, governance, stabilization, civil society support, conflict and peace programs, radicalization and violent extremism, etc.
• Fluency in English is required; fluency in Portuguese and/or Swahili is an added advantage.
|Experience in Months||60|
|Level of Education||Postgraduate Degree|
Job application procedure
Interested applicants Click here to apply