Communications Officer Vacancies at The African Climate Foundation (ACF) 2023, The ACF has an exciting role for an early-mid career communications professional wanting to learn and grow their skills in communicating in complex spaces. We are seeking a creative, energetic, and hardworking individual to support the overall communications strategy of the ACF.
The African Climate Foundation (ACF) is the first and only African-led climate change re-granting organisation on the continent. Through its grant making and thought leadership, the ACF seeks to support interventions at the nexus of climate change and development that have the greatest potential to deliver long-term socio-economic transformation and inclusive development.
About the Role
Complex climate problems require innovative African solutions. At the ACF, we believe that climate change interventions have immense potential to unlock new opportunities for development in Africa.
The Communications Officer will work closely with the wider communications team but will also be very much embedded in the ACF programmatic work where they will support and work closely with ACF partners and grantees across thematic areas such as China-Africa relations, energy access and transitions, amongst other focus areas.
Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Deliver objectives set out in the strategic communications strategy of the ACF.
- Write and prepare online news items for the ACF website, such as blog posts and other compelling content across a range of platforms. In other words, translate the ACF’s programmatic objectives into compelling and concise content.
- Work closely with the wider communications team to create website briefs and assist with updating the ACF website content.
- Assist with the coordination of ACF-led or participating events (virtual and in-person) by drafting concept notes under the guidance of the research team and at times conference agendas (including speaker management prior to and/or onsite).
- Update and create social media content as well as create a monthly/ annual / campaign-related social media calendar.
- Work closely with the ACF partners and grantees on selected thematic areas to support their communication needs, as well as creating awareness of their work.
- Work closely with appointed service providers who may come in to assist with social media, website management as well as content.
- Support advocacy campaigns in collaboration with team members.
- Providing support where necessary to the wider communications team.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities (relevant to the role) as required.
- At least three to five years’ experience in a similar role (ideally within the development and NPO sector).
- Degree in media studies, journalism, communication science or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Experience in content creation across a range of platforms including social media and writing online news (blog) items. A written portfolio would be an advantage.
- WordPress CMS experience or ability to learn.
- Experience in using Zoom Webinar (or other related platforms) and running a virtual event.
- Familiarity and overall interest to research and be involved in areas such as climate change, geopolitics, energy transition, climate justice and/or or agriculture will be an advantage.
- Preference will go to a candidate based in East or West Africa. The ACF has, or is considering increased presence in Senegal, Nigeria, Kenya and Mauritius.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills in English and French (preferable).
- Highly collaborative style and disciplined to work remotely.
- Effective inter-personal skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Start date: Position Available Immediately
Location: Remote work.
Closing date: 28 February 2023
Please submit your CV and a 600–800-word response to the question below. Please note that applicants who do not submit a written response to the question will not be considered for this position.
Why are climate mitigation, adaptation and loss and damage important development considerations for Africa?
For further information about the ACF, visit www.africanclimatefoundation.org.
Should you not hear back from us by 31 March 2023, please consider your application to be unsuccessful.
The ACF strives to be an equitable organisation with a team which reflects the diversity of Africa. We offer a flexible and rewarding working environment as well as a competitive salary.