Project Officer Agroecology at SWISSAID – Masasi Office June 2023, Ajira Mpya SWISSAID June 2023, Tanzania Jobs AJIRA Nafasi za kazi SWISSAID Tanzania Project Officer Agroecology at SWISSAID June 2023 SWISSAID Tanzania Jobs Vacancy, Employment Mtwara June 2023
SWISSAID is a non-government organization headquartered in Switzerland with operations in nine countries. It has operated in Tanzania since 1972, focusing on small-scale farming, gender equality, and extractives. Swissaid Tanzania is implementing a CROPS4HD project in Lindi, Mtwara, Dodoma, Dar es Salaam, Pwani, and Morogoro, whereby the focus production regions are Lindi and Mtwara. The project officer will be based in Masasi in the Mtwara region, providing technical support to small-scale farmers on ecological organic agriculture in project areas. The following are the project’s key outcomes:
Ajira Mpya SWISSAID June 2023- Project Officer Agroecology
- Outcome 1: The demand of urban and rural consumers for products from farmers’ varieties/ landraces, neglected and underutilized species, and a healthy diet is increased.
- Outcome 2: Smallholder farmers, especially women, grow farmers’ varieties/ landraces and neglected and underutilized species as a viable business and improve their livelihoods.
- Outcome 3: Regulatory frameworks, strategies, and policies at local, national, sub-regional, and global levels reflect the particularities of integrated seed systems, create an enabling environment for innovative market approaches and incentivize the consumption of healthy, diverse, and agroecologically produced food.
Areas of intervention on small scale farming:
Increasing smallholder farmers’ productivity and production through diversified agroecological farming. Improving smallholder farmers’ capacity to generate net income through productive agroecological value chains. Strengthening smallholder farmers’ organizations to enhance sustainability and accountability. Field operations are mainly taking place in Lindi and Mtwara regions. The intended project officer will be responsible for selected districts within the project area.
Some of the key duties and responsibilities:
- Develop training material and provide training on agroecology to a wide range of stakeholders, including smallholder farmers, extension officers, youth, students and other stakeholders.
- Establish farmer field schools and facilitate knowledge transfer at the group and community level.
- Participate in organizing and coordinating regular visits and outreach events at the demonstration plot in project areas
- Support the maintenance and upkeep of agroecology demonstration farms at village / ward level
- Provide technical backstopping in agroecology to farmer groups and other stakeholders.
- Participate in preparing annual, quarterly and monthly plans and reports on projects activities.
- Support other projects as needed and foster good coordination and synergies with other elements of the Country Programme. Ajira Mpya SWISSAID June 2023
- Promote and use new technologies, in particular dedicated smartphone applications.
RECOMMENDED: Content Manager–Social Media Platforms June 2023
Qualifications and experience:
- Hold a bachelor degree in the area of agriculture, preferably in agronomy/horticulture, with a minimum of three years working experience.
- A certificate or diploma and/or a significant experience in the area of ecological organic agriculture / agro-ecology is the added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience with project management and leadership, with capacity to effectively manage multi-years projects and lead a team of up to 5 people.
- Interest and experience with grassroots communities in the agriculture sector.
- Practical experience and interest in working with multiple partners, including the government, civil society organizations, academia, and the private sector.
- A commitment to equal opportunities and promotion of gender equity.
- High-level analytical and report-writing skills in English.
- Fluent in English and Swahili.
- Must be computer literate.
- Ability to work independently, multitask, and under pressure.
- Be focused on results, with a strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Be a team player.
Mode of application:
Candidates should submit a letter of intent describing their qualifications for this position, a CV, and two referees, including contact phone numbers and email addresses, at their earliest convenience. Deadline: 29th June 2023 Applicants MUST indicate expected gross salary in Tanzania shillings. Send the application to: firstname.lastname@example.org Qualified women candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this position.