Abt Associates, a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in international development, seeks an communications expert to serve as Director of Communications on the USAID/Tanzania Public Sector Systems Strengthening Plus Activity (PS3+). PS3+ aims to institutionalize public systems for the for the Government of Tanzania (GOT) that respond to citizens’ needs for quality services at the local level, particularly for underserved populations. The project provides technical assistance to government partners including the President’s Office for Regional Administration and Local Government (PO-RALG) and line ministries in mainland Tanzania and Zanzibar to enable evidence-based, inclusive planning and management of public services; improved governance to promote citizen engagement and social accountability; and more efficient collection and use of financial resources. This large, complex, and integrated project works at all levels of government, across several sectors, including health, nutrition, social welfare, education, and agriculture.
The Director of Communications will report to the project Deputy Chief of Party and will lead a small team.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Finalize an internal and external communications strategy for PS3+.
- Lead and oversee production and submission of deliverables and communications products, including but not limited to, success stories, technical briefs, videos, and major presentations for external audiences.
- Collaborate with technical team members to generate original written content for project reports, other technical deliverables, and external communication products and to storyboard content for multimedia materials produced by external firm.
- Oversee dissemination of communication products to external audiences.
- Develop protocols and mechanisms for consistent communications with key external stakeholders about project accomplishments and to respond promptly to inquiries.
- Contribute to limited technical assistance to government partners in communications, including through presentations, training, or technical reviews.
- Maintain databases of project documents, project, and media contacts in coordination with technical teams.
- Liaise with USAD/Tanzania’s Development Outreach and Communication team to agree on communication products that PS3+ will be responsible for.
- Support editing of key project documents and deliverables.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred in relevant field (journalism, communications, public relations, marketing).
- Minimum 10 years of work experience, including at least two years in international development. Experience with USAID-funded projects preferred.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills, including writing and editing. Fluency in Swahili required.
- Demonstrated experience in communications or public relations, including identifying compelling stories, connecting with diverse audiences, distilling technical language into user-friendly formats, collaborating with production teams, and adhering to deadlines and short turn-around times.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, organizational and mentoring skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Ten years of relevant experience, or PhD + Seven years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
At Abt Associates, we are committed to creating a lasting culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and recognize that in order to achieve full participation, our practices must be free of prejudice, discrimination, and bias that result in inequitable outcomes. We are actively working to advance equity for everyone, and while we still have much work to do, we know that racial and cultural diversity are an asset to our business and the communities where we live and serve. Our ongoing commitment is focused on creating business practices that advance racial and social equity, investments in community impact programs for the benefit of Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and expand upon project work related to racial equity and social justice.
CLICK HERE TO APPLY